Connect with us

Culture

Marco Rubio Called Out For Lack Gun Control

Published

on

Gun control has become even more of a larger topic in this country following the heartbreaking shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. The survivors of the tragedy, especially the students, have been advocating for revising the laws.

But while they have been proactive in their plight, the government officials who have the power to change things aren’t proving their competency. One of them is Florida Congressional Senator Marco Rubio, who was confronted during CNN’s “Stand Up” town hall on Wednesday night by angry students, teachers, and parents who are demanding stronger plans for gun control.

Frank Guttenberg, whose 14-year-old daughter Jaime Guttenberg was one of the 17 victims who was killed in the shooting, specifically targeted Rubio with his impressive question. He called Rubio and Donald Trump’s comments regarding plans to tackle gun violence “pathetically weak.” “Look at me and tell me. Guns were the factor in the hunting of our kids in this school this week. And look at me and tell me you accept it and you will work with us to do something about guns,” Guttenberg asked the senator as the audience gave him a standing ovation.

Rubio’s response echoed his previous sentiments, as he explained “I’m saying that the problems we face here today cannot be solved by gun laws alone.” Guttenberg quickly interrupted him: “Were guns the factor in the hunting of our kids?”

Student Cameron Kasky also continued to question if Rubio will still accept donations from the NRA. “The positions I hold on these issues of the Second Amendment, I’ve held since the day I entered office in the city of West Miami as an elected official,” Rubio said. “People buy into my agenda, and I do support the Second Amendment.” The survivors’ demands were reflected on social media, with people having mixed feelings about what Rubio had to say.

Rubio also did not support President Trump viewpoint of arming teachers.

“I don’t support that. … The notion that my kids are going to school with teachers that are armed with a weapon is not something that, quite frankly, I’m comfortable with,” Rubio said.

Culture

Bill Cosby Sentenced To 3-10 Years In State Prison

Published

on

Bill Cosby finally received his sentence on Tuesday in a Pennsylvania courtroom.

The judge deemed Cosby a “sexually violent predator” by a judge before sentencing the 81-year-old fallen star to three to ten years in prison.

“I’m not permitted to treat him any differently based on who he is or who he was,” the judge said. “As she [Constand] said, Mr. Cosby, you took her beautiful, healthy young spirit and crushed it.”

Constand accused Cosby of raping her in 2004 when she was working with Cosby at Temple University’s athletic department. She was among the more than 60 women have come forward with accusations, most of whom cited Cosby’s use of the sedative Quaaludes to overpower them.

Cosby did not take the stand during his 13-day trial. He will be able to appeal his sentence. But for now, there is some justice for many of his victims.

 

Continue Reading

Culture

Drake Sues Woman Over Extortion And Fruad

Published

on

Drake is suing the woman that made false pregnancy and rape allegations against him in 2017.

According to TMZ, in the suit, Layla Lace met Drake during last year’s Boy Meets World Tour in Manchester, England, where he claimed they had consensual sex.

He claimed that when he stopped responding to subsequent messages, she allegedly began threatening to leak their correspondence, publicly claimed he had impregnated her, accused him of rape, and demanded “millions of dollars” in exchange for silence. Drake is reportedly suing for civil extortion, emotional distress, fraud, defamation, and abuse of process.

The suit claims Layla refused to take a paternity test and Layla and her lawyer went radio silent. Drake says the whole thing was a scam … “There is no credible evidence of pregnancy, nor any baby, which would have been born last Fall.”

According to the lawsuit, Layla switched tactics and went to authorities in New York and alleged Drake had raped her during their one-night stand.

The Manchester police reportedly interviewed and cleared Drake of sexual assault accusations when the case was referred to them.

Continue Reading

Culture

Michael Jordan Is Donating $2 Million Dollars For Hurricane Florance Relief

Published

on

Michael Jordan is donating to hurricane aid for his home state.

Jordan is contributing $1 million each to the American Red Cross and the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund. The American Red Cross is providing food and shelter to thousands of people who have been displaced by the hurricane, while the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund directs funds to nonprofits in North and South Carolina providing relief to victims of the storm.

Jordan also reportedly stressed the importance of the long-term recovery from the storm.

“People need to understand this will not be a week-long process. This is going to have a huge disruption on people’s lives – not for 10 days, but for years,” Jordan told the Charlotte Observer, adding that he hopes his donation will spur people to get involved.

Hurricane Florence made landfall over the weekend across the Eastern seaboard, leaving at least 33 people dead and causing flooding and widespread power outages in the areas hardest hit by the storm in Virginia and the Carolinas. More than 10,000 residents have reportedly been displaced amid the devastating aftermath

 

Continue Reading

Popular

Copyright © 2017 Clutch Media Group.