James Gunn is still will not return for the third installment of Guardians of the Galaxy.
The director was fired after old Tweets resurfaced that joked about pedophilia, the decade-old tweets were brought to light by a campaign apparently led by alt-right activists.
The reaction led to a meeting between Gunn and studio chairman Alan Horn, where Variety says Horn was merely looking to “clear the air” as a professional courtesy. However, the studio will not be bringing Gunn back, and Marvel president Kevin Feige is said to stand by this decision.
The cast support has been supported the reinstatement and posted a full statement.
If you please, read the statement written and signed by The Guardians of the Galaxy cast in support of James Gunn’s reinstatement as director of GOTG Volume 3. pic.twitter.com/TjNA9RF6M8
— Zoe Saldana (@zoesaldana) July 30, 2018
Dave Bautista has been more vocal going so far as to say he would not return and Disney could recast his character.
“Where I’m at right now is that if [Marvel] don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me,” said Bautista. “I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”